Although some eye conditions cannot be avoided, maintaining healthy habits and good nutrition is important for your eyes. Here, we have identified critical measures to keeping your eyes healthy inside and out.
- Eat healthy! Eating greens can help prevent dry eyes, glaucoma and more.
- Obtain vision insurance if you don't already.
- Quit smoking. Smoking increases your risks of cataracts and other diseases of the eye.
- Upgrade your eyewear to prevent eye strain
- Address your allergies. This will stop red itchy eyes
- Stay active. Staying active can delay age related macular degeneration
- Drink lot's of water to keep your eyes moist and nourished.
- Get regular eye exams - the earlier a vision disorder can be detected the better.
- Wear safety goggles.
- Wear sunglasses even on cloudy days. Sun exposure can lead to sunburn of the front surface of the eye (photokeratitis); cataracts; macular degeneration; pinguecula and pterygium (unsightly growths on the eye); and cancer of the eyelid.
- Rest your eyes. If you work on a computer, look away every 20 minutes for at least 20 seconds to prevent eye strain.